Thursday, November 13, 2008

Moment of Cricket for India...and me

This post comes two days late, but that is what my Data Card, that refused to work for these two days,decided...

Monday the 10th was a very moving "cricket" moment for me,after quite a long time,after we won the T20 World Cup I would say.As Harbhajan pulled out the wicket,displaying the passionate acknowledgement of winning a series that not only was pronounced as the "Battle of Life between Titans" but had created a frenzy, even bigger than an India-Pakistan series (as even MSD stated),it was a feeling of deep pride and satisfaction sinking in.And what a way to bring back the Border-Gavaskar Cup after 5 long years...what a sweeping off of the series with 2-0 and a good 172 runs win in the second test. But the moment that brought tears to my eyes, was when MSD motioned Kumble to join him in holding the Cup-befittingly so- and few moments later, Bhajji and Ishaan lifted Dada from the field into the dressing room. The fact that two legends had announced their signing off from the game, the reality that never would I be able to see my favorite bowler in his controlled passion take a wicket and humbly smile, or the skipper I rate as THE Indian to introduce aggression into the players of cricket (before which the spectators definitely beat them to it!) swerve the ball past surprised fielders to the boundary, hit me hard.
I was reminded of how these legends in a way defined that stage of my life, during my schooling years, when I was a cricket crazed fan, and in a way their moving away made that tense reality come closer home: of my growing old :)

1 comment:

Srinivasan Narayan said...

Do read this article.....I am sure you would be able to relate to this-http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/376791.html...atleast I did and somehow feel all the junta of my age would....