Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Ghar ...aur ...Shauhar

Finally getting my posting,I have been doing House hunting for a while now..and the process somehow makes me think this sure must bear some similarity with the whole hunting(pun intended) for the right groom-an institution we call "Arrange marriage" in India. This might have a lot to do with my recent frequent situations when I,happening to run out of important things to update my mom about(albeit for a few seconds) find my mom slipping in
the "M" word in her ever so soft voice.Now I am not a full-blodded feminist who deosnt believe in marriage and loving a man phenomenon- I am all for people getting married whenever they want (or dont want) and to whoever they do. However, I somehow cannot digest this "Arr-ange"marriage concept-- of meeting people with that purpose in mind of selection/rejection (unnatural to the core!!) and taking decisions of compatibility basis an hour long conversation and may be a couple of telephonic chit-chats. I am not trying to be cynical about this whole thing and the happily arranged married couples need not spit venom or precious advice at me,I cannot imagine MYSELF as part of this whole process..but due to my recent transfer, as I went from one house to another figuring out where I could "accomodate" myself better I started finding a lot of possible similarity.

So not a single house brought the exclamation "WOW- This is it" , but I kept weighing, not the pros and the cons, but more than that the cons that I could live comparatively better with- in short- the problems/lacks i can "accomodate" or "compromise" with...does it sound familiar to the already married.
Anyways, since I have never sat through meeting a guy,yet,I may be just over-exaggerating the comparison and being harsher than I should be...Btw- have finalised on a house at least!!

No comments: